In the aftermath of the tragic road accident in Dergaon, Golaghat district, Assam, on Wednesday morning, the Assam Police has rolled out strict Standard Operating Procedures (SoP) for picnickers.
The SoP outlines crucial guidelines to be adhered to by picnic parties, emphasizing safety protocols and road traffic regulations. As Assam witnesses an influx of people participating in picnics during this period, the police are keen on averting road accidents that cast a shadow over these celebratory gatherings.
The SoP is as follows –
- Preventing Overcrowding: Strict measures to ensure that vehicles used for picnics do not exceed their capacity, preventing overcrowding and ensuring passenger safety.
- Ban on Illicit Liquor: Stringent prohibition on the trading and consumption of illicit liquor in and around picnic spots to maintain a safe and healthy environment.
- Driver Sobriety: Drivers of picnic vehicles are strictly prohibited from consuming any intoxicants before taking the wheel, prioritizing road safety.
- Noise Control: Prohibition of loud music within the vehicles to maintain a peaceful and non-disruptive atmosphere during travel.
- Raids on Illicit Liquor Outlets: Continuous police raids on dhabas and establishments selling illicit liquor to curb the availability of such substances.
- Time Restrictions: Restrictions on the movement of picnic parties before sunrise and after sunset to enhance safety during low visibility hours.
- Informing Local Police: Mandatory notification to the local police station about the origin and destination of travel for effective monitoring.
- Surveillance Groups: Deployment of surveillance groups, in collaboration with Village Defense Parties (VDPs), at each picnic spot to detect and prevent any illicit or illegal activities.
- Enhanced Lighting: Provision of ample lighting facilities in and around vulnerable picnic spots to ensure visibility and deter unlawful activities.
- Designated Parking Areas: Identification and allocation of sufficient parking areas at every picnic spot to manage vehicular influx systematically.
- Driver Briefing: Thorough briefing of bus drivers responsible for transporting picnic parties, emphasizing proper footwear and adherence to safety guidelines.
- Fog Safety: Awareness and adherence to guidelines ensuring that no movement occurs during foggy conditions to mitigate risks.
The tragic incident in Golaghat serves as a somber reminder of the potential risks associated with picnics, and the Assam Police is taking proactive measures to prevent any recurrence. These measures include preventing overcrowding in vehicles, stringent bans on illicit liquor, ensuring sobriety among drivers, controlling noise levels, and imposing restrictions on movement during low visibility hours.
The new SoP aims to create a secure environment for picnickers, addressing various aspects of safety and law compliance. By issuing these guidelines, the Assam Police intends to foster a sense of responsibility among organizers and participants, making picnics a joyful and safe experience for all.