In Assam Cabinet Meeting held on July 28, several key decisions were taken to develop the tourism sector in Assam. The cabinet meeting chaired by Assam Chief Minister Dr. Himanta Biswa Srama approved Assam Tourism Policy 2022.
Assam Tourism Policy, 2022 aims to develop adequate infrastructure at places of tourist interest with connecting circuits while considering Assam’s ecological and cultural sensitivities.
Here are the key decisions are taken for Assam Tourism Policy 2022
- Engagement of local people both directly and indirectly in various tourism endeavors.
- Support towards the development of Home Stay (Amar Alohi) schemes among local communities
- Focus on coordination between the Tourism and Transportation sectors
- Creation of Special Tourism Zones (STZ) by promoting Tea tourism, Golf tourism, Medical & Wellness, and Adventure tourism along with the existing Wildlife and Heritage Circuit
- Promoting private sector investments in the sector from domestic and international players through the PPP mode
Assam Tourism Policy 2022: Boost to Tea Tourism
Several key decisions have also been taken to Boost tea tourism in Assam. These are as follows –
- Guidelines for promotion and development of Tea Tourism Infrastructure approved
- 50 Tea Gardens with iconic bungalows close to existing tourism circuits to be selected for development of Tourism Infrastructure on PPP mode –
- 50% of project infrastructure cost to be contributed as State share (maximum 2 crores)
- In Budget 2022-23, +50 crore was earmarked for the promotion of the development of Tea Tourism
- Total scheme outlay for 50 tea gardens: 100 crore
According to the Assam Tourism Policy 2022, A Hospitality project is to be set up in Manas National Park at the existing Bashbari Lodge property of Assam Tourism Development Corporation on PPP mode.
In the #AssamCabinet, we took several decisions related to dual medium in Govt schools, teaching of Science & Maths in English, Geography &History as compulsory subjects, new Tourism Policy, uniform building bye-laws, awards for Govt employees, caste certificates for Morans, etc. pic.twitter.com/gj9orPV86v
— Himanta Biswa Sarma (@himantabiswa) July 28, 2022
Taking to Twitter, Assam Chief Minster Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma said. In the #AssamCabinet, we made several decisions related to dual medium in Govt schools, teaching Science & Maths in English, Geography &History as compulsory subjects, new Tourism Policy, uniform building bye-laws, awards for Govt employees, caste certificates for Morans, etc.